Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Tch Tch Tch…Society!!

It was a friggin’ weird day.
I realized how our society has molded us to think in a certain way; to behave in a certain way; and for Christ’s sake- think in a certain pathetic way!

I happened to spend a few hours one evening catching up with a good old friend last week. We stopped at a donut joint and got talking, as usual. Oh I need to confess – I have my heart set upon that place.

Oh c’mon u creeps…! I’m not eyeing the owner, or his son, or his father! Phew!!!
Freaks like u do it…I simply love donuts!! And for all the losers who haven’t tasted the real Dunkin’ Donuts…don’t u dare talk abt donuts to me….eva!
So yeah this place comes pretty close to Dunkin’ Donuts (of USA). Don’t doubt my taste buds – I know wt I’m sayin’!

Well…so whr was I? oh yeah….there I sat with my friend sippin coffee and relishing the tangy lemon donut….hhmmm…the taste still lingers in ma mouth and makes me feel all tangy again…aaww…this keeps deviating me from wt I really wna say…

Damn! Donuts are enuf to take my attention away from the world.
My friends have given me a title – “the girl who can sell her soul for donuts”. Hey its not untrue! And I love u all (I’m talking to my friends!)

So topics flew like hot pancakes….ohh…pancakes…yyuummm…I used to make ‘em when I was in US…and cakes…and brownies…and…good food!!!

Anywayz…I need to learn to focus on topics being discussed…so we stumbled upon the miseries the incessant rains flooding the city with. And the plight of the “not-as-privileged-as-v-r-“gave the conversation a serious/ emotional touch.

He went on to describe a certain sight he was an audience to on his way that evening. When he was stuck in traffic his eyes fell on a man with bare essentials to cover his lean remains, seeking shelter under a huge tree. He was so struck by the graveness of the situation that he couldn’t take his eyes off him. At a point he wanted to step out of his car and walk up to the man and offer him help – monetary of course, and/or just hear him out.

And as he described that panorama to me, all I could think of was- is my friend gay???

His tone was all mellow and soft, his eyes a lil’ watery and he stopped eating his donut.

Hey I was not eyeing his donut…I’m not too fond of chocolate newayz. And not that I’m not emotional…I do have a heart – a good one at that!

It’s just the way I’ve been looking at boys around me.
None of them – believe me NONE of them have eva spoken about something so heart-touching or overwhelming or penetrating.

Now I don’t mean to compare all the men around but hey I’m sorry if I haven’t come across any sissy! My brother is a brute! (In a good way I mean…he mite jz read this someday…and I don’t want that day to be my last)

So as I looked at him, so moved by the privation of others, I was a lil’ taken aback. I could feel the emotion going thru my friend’s heart – yes a lil’ bit – but at the same time I had my doubts creepin’ in.

Time and time again, we come to rash conclusions about the quandaries of life.
Is this what I really was? Instead of empathizing with him, I doubted his “straight-ness”?!

I for one, taking myself to be a rational thinker, fell in the loop made by society.
We are so raised to think of boys as the tough ones and the girls – sissy!
In this new age, everyone is glee-fully flaunting their softer side. But hey, I’ve neva come across a man who is not afraid to reveal his feminine side.
I appreciate the fact that he is in touch with his emotions.

All I want to say is that, I didn’t think I’d be skeptical about someone’s emotions – esp. a boy’s. But look what the world has done to me!

No comments: